Anonymous again says it will not attack Facebook on Saturday

The hacker group has previously denied being involved in a plan to knock the social networking site offline

Facebook will not be targeted by Anonymous on Saturday, the hacking group said in one of its Twitter accounts, again distancing itself from a threat that has gotten broad publicity since it surfaced several months ago.

"We told you many times ddosing Facebook was a fake operation," reads a message posted on Friday in the group's AnonOps Twitter account.

The threat to "destroy" Facebook on Nov. 5 via a DDOS (distributed denial of service) attack originated with a video posted on YouTube in mid-July.

However, the plan was never announced in Anonymous' Twitter feeds nor on its blog, anonops.blogspot.com.

On Aug. 10 the group said on Twitter that it wasn't involved in planning a Facebook attack.

"WE DONT 'KILL' THE MESSENGER. THAT'S NOT OUR STYLE," reads that post on the group's AnonOps Twitter account.

In a statement released on Friday, Anonymous said the initiative against Facebook was led by an individual acting on his own, according to a Cnet report.

This man was warned to stop promoting the attack as an Anonymous action but he pressed on, so as retaliation Anonymous has released his name and contact information, including a phone number, according to the Cnet article.

Juan Carlos Perez covers search, social media, online advertising, e-commerce, web application development, enterprise cloud collaboration suites and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.

FREE Computerworld Insider Guide: IT Certification Study Tips
Join the discussion
Be the first to comment on this article. Our Commenting Policies