Google has been opening up lately with their data center technology. Today, they've posed a quick tour of one of their monster data center facilities. This is where the magic happens.
A few observations:
- The water pipes are painted in Google colors
- At this facility, there are 45 containers with more that 1000 servers per container. They are water cooled.
- Each container could be put on a truck and sent off to another station
- Cooling uses a lot of energy and space. Using water is smart
- Employees are given "Google provided transportation" Razor scooters to get around.
- Overall the place looks a bit like a Soviet nuclear missile installation
- It appears that Google is trying to share their data center knowledge with the world in order to help people cut costs and run more efficiently.
Bonus Video: Google updated Mobile Gmail and Calendar for iPhone and Android