It's less scary than 'Closed because of the fire'

This pilot fish is working in the IT department of a local supermarket chain when a call comes in from a store -- and it's a crisis.

"The call was about construction that was taking place in an existing store," says fish. "Sparks from a welder who was cutting through the roof fell into the computer room, setting everything on fire including the point-of-sale server and the network equipment.

"The store had to be closed due to the fire in the computer room making the checkout stands unusable.

"We rushed to piece together existing equipment in the office to replace everything that burned.

"When we pulled up to the store, there was a large sign on the front door saying CLOSED DUE TO COMPUTER PROBLEMS.

"That's when I realized that all problems will be blamed on the network..."

Sharky's always open to hearing true tales of IT life. Send me your story at sharky@computerworld.com. You'll score a sharp Shark shirt if I use it. Add your comments below, and read some great old tales in the Sharkives.

Get your daily dose of out-takes from the IT Theater of the Absurd delivered directly to your Inbox. Subscribe now to the Daily Shark Newsletter.

To express your thoughts on Computerworld content, visit Computerworld's Facebook page, LinkedIn page and Twitter stream.
Windows 10 annoyances and solutions
Shop Tech Products at Amazon
Notice to our Readers
We're now using social media to take your comments and feedback. Learn more about this here.