Windows 8 users ignore touchscreens, flock to cheap laptops

Microsoft may have envisioned people buying high-end, touchscreen devices to take advantage of Windows 8, but the truth so far is proving to be very different. The biggest sellers are cheap notebooks, not higher-priced touch models.

So concludes the ad-serving network AdDuplex. AdDuplex collected data about Windows 8/Windows RT use for January 14, using the AdDuplex ad SDK embedded in 112 Windows Store apps.

Among the things that AdDuplex looked at were which devices were most popular. The RT-based Surface led the pack, no surprise given the massive ad campaign Microsoft has launched for it. But of the remaining 9 top-sellers, only a single one had a touchscreen, the Asus VivoBook. All the other devices were undistinguished notebooks, such as the $350 HP 2000. The devices were all largely sub-$500 devices.

AdDuplex only listed the top ten Windows 8/Windows RT devices by model, which accounted for 24.3% of all Windows 8/Windows RT usage. For the remaining 75.7%, there were more than 7,400 models, and AdDuplexdidn't bother to list their names. You can take your own guesses about what those devices might be. But there's every reason to expect that they're dominated by low-cost, generic, non-touch notebooks.

All of this should come at no surprise. There are not many good reasons to use touch on a desktop, notebook, laptop, or ultrabook, even though Microsoft built touch into Windows 8. Expect low-cost, non-touch notebooks to continue to dominate Windows 8 sales.

Computerworld Blogs Newsletter

Subscribe now to the Blogs Newsletter for a daily summary of the most recent and relevant blog posts at Computerworld.

Computerworld's IT Salary Survey 2017 results
Shop Tech Products at Amazon